An Angels blog
Pearly Gates: An Angels Blog
Pearly Gates: An Angels Blog

Navigate

Pearly Gates is...

Quick Reference

BP Player Cards:

ESPN Player Cards:

Baseball Cube:

Baseball Reference:

Recent posts

Links

Archive

Contact

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Non-baseball: The third debate

First thoughts- Solid Bush win, but like the second debate, an unspectacular one. I felt that Bush was slightly better in the town-hall format, and Kerry was having his worst night by far. He seemed to be on the defensive the entire debate, something I never expected to see.

Kerry has a plan for everything, he just doesn't have time to explain it. It's starting to get real old, John.

Kerry's stressing of Mary Cheney's sexual orientation was absolutely disgusting and reprehensible. Senator Kerry owes Mary Cheney an apology. It could have been the big gaff everyone was waiting for, and everyone expected to see coming from Bush.

More later...

UPDATE: The Cheneys' response to Kerry's comments:
Vice President Cheney: "I would have said Sen. Kerry was out of line to bring my daughter into it. I thought it was totally inappropriate."

Lynne Cheney: "The only thing I could conclude is that this is not a good man. This is not a good man. And, of course, I'm speaking as a mom. And a pretty indignant one. This is not a good man. What a cheap and tawdry political trick."
Damn right.

Now Elizabeth Edwards response to the Cheneys' response:
"She's overreacted to this and treated it as if it's shameful to have this discussion. I think that's a very sad state of affairs… I think that it indicates a certain degree of shame with respect to her daughter's sexual preferences… It makes me really sad that that's Lynne's response."
You want to know what's shameful here? "Outing" an innocent political bystander on national television, in front of 26 million viewers to score political points- that's shameful. Yes, I know, Mary Cheney is open about her sexuality- but she certainly didn't want it broadcast into the home of every American or made an issue in her father's campaign. She is not a public figure, she is not an issue in this campaign, and she is not "fair game". Her sexuality has as much baring on this campaign as does the fact that Mrs. Edwards is a fat cow. Which she is. A fucking land whale:


How do you like it, fat-ass?

And then to respond to criticism of your cheap political trick by accusing the parents of a gay daughter of being homophobes and being ashamed of their child? Classy. Just when you think the Democratic ticket couldn't get any lower, it finds a way.

I was going to vote for Bush- now I'm voting against these people.

UPDATE: A round-up of related links:
Surprisingly, Andrew Sullivan doesn't see what the big deal is. Oh wait, that's not at all surprising.

Ace wonders if this means Sullivan won't have a problem with being referred to as "Andrew Sullivan, the homosexual" from this point forward. Good question...

Instapundit also had a run in with Sullivan.

To which Spoons responds:
You know, I don't remotely object to Andrew criticizing the President. But I do object to Andrew's intellectual dishonesty, his decision to paint all Republicans as evil bigots, and his willingness to turn nasty towards people who have never treated him with anything but friendship and respect.

[snip]

I don't care that Sullivan's become a Democrat. I care that he's become a dick.
Getting off the Sullivan bashing for a moment, Steve at ThoughtsOnline puts his finger right on the issue.

And finally, Ensie begs to differ.

Comments: