Pearly Gates is...Quick ReferenceRecent postsLinksRichard's other blog:Hall Of Fame:
The "Real" Media:
Halosphere:
Minor League Affiliates:
Other Baseball Blogs:
Other Random Crap (in a good way):
Soccer:Archive
Blog*Spot ArchivesContactRichard Ceccarelli Josh Mandir |
Sunday, July 31, 2005No Darin ErstadHe's on the bench today - could there be a trade in the works? Dare I dream? UPDATE: When you start a guy with seven games of major league experience while your opponent starts a 4-time Cy Young winner with 250+ wins, and you're leading when both leave the game, well, that's a stolen game. There was no reason to believe the Angels could win this one, and yet here we are. Now it's up to the bullpen. You can't let this one get away. UPDATE: Dueling bullpen implosions. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with this team. Nope not a thing... UPDATE: With so many areas to improve and so many resources, how does nothing get done? Mr. Moreno: fire Bill Stoneman. Protect your investment. He has no vision for this franchise, and even if he did, he's so petrified of change that he'll never be able to implement it. The Angels will never be as good as they should be with Bill Stoneman at the helm. Major market teams do what it takes to win, Mr. Moreno. Fancy marketing will accomplish nothing if you don't understand that. CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE: Maicer Izturis was a good acquisition. Unfortunately Bill Stoneman was too blind to see how good. Why let Izturis play for $400,000 when you can pay another ex-Expo $6m to do the same job!? UPDATE: Kevin Gregg in for the 10th. Game over. UPDATE: Oh. My. Fucking. God. UPDATE: And they ruled it a single. Yeah. MORE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE: I guess Paul Byrd worked-out pretty well too. So that's two positive moves over four years. Unless you want to count Vlad, which, I wouldn't considering it was an avenue Bill had no intention of pursuing until it fell in his lap. GAME OVER: So how 'bout that name change, huh? That's going to do wonders growing the fan-base! FAIR PLAY TO STONEMAN: Rob points out that Stoneman also pulled the trigger on the Appier/Vaughn deal. So that's three in his column. Any others? AH, YES: I believe Kimera Bartee for Chone Figgins was Stoneman's doing as well. Of course, it's never been the trades he makes that bothered me. Comments:Please don't trade Erstad.. please don't trade Erstad.. Sorry guys, but I've been an Ersty fan for years now. But Finley I'd be ok with. posted by @ 11:40 AM
JESUS FUCK SHIT ASS AHHHHHHHFHFGHFGHASFLAS: That is THE most frustrating game I have ever watched, EVER. Thanks for the bullpen help, Stoneman! posted by @ 2:32 PM
Mo Vaughn for Kevin Appier was also a Stoneman trade. But, as with Buzzy Bavasi, Stoneman makes few trades probably because he doesn't know how, and is afraid of screwing up. Judging by his free agency signings and the extensions (especially the latter), he has good reason to be. One further comment: who do you get to replace Stoneman in the event he is fired? Sandy Alderson seems to be MIA, though I can't imagine the Padres objecting if he's interviewed as a GM. "who do you get to replace Stoneman in the event he is fired?" Alderson's a solid choice. How about Grady Fusion? Or Artie could strike a blow for gender equality and go with Kim Ng. There are lots of names out there. And with Moreno’s resources, everyone should be in play (the dream scenario would be a blank-check with Billy Beane’s name on it). Really, I don't need a sabermetrics-inclined GM. I'd be fine with anyone who has a solid plan and the stones to make it happen. |