Pearly Gates is...Quick ReferenceRecent postsLinksRichard's other blog:Hall Of Fame:
The "Real" Media:
Halosphere:
Minor League Affiliates:
Other Baseball Blogs:
Other Random Crap (in a good way):
Soccer:Archive
Blog*Spot ArchivesContactRichard Ceccarelli Josh Mandir |
Wednesday, September 21, 2005LostWhat the fuck man? What the fuck!? UPDATE: Seriously, what the fuck? Comments:If I had a time machine, the only thing I'd want to do is go to 9:00 next Wednesday night. posted by @ 10:20 PM
Desmond being the guy in the "cave" seems pretty ridiculously coincidental, there had better be some good tie-ins to explain that. posted by @ 11:25 PM
I have heard, from friends who pay attention to Lost, that the writers do not know what they are going to do, and in fact are proud of this. I don't watch shows where the writers flip off the audience in such a brutal and obvious manner. Well, the writers have basically said that they have every major storyline picked out for about 5 seasons. That means they have a reason for everything (surviving the crash, the weirdness of the island, the monster, the hatch, etc.). It is the details (mostly the character backgrounds) that they seem to not have completely figured out. Of course, the writers could be lying, so take that for whatever it is worth. Every serial drama is like that. When you don't know how long your show will air, you have to keep the plot flexible. Walk the line between Twin Peaks (which revealed the central mystery way too soon) and X-Files (which jerked its fans around way too long). I would like to think that the producers do know where they're going - but even if it just bullshit, it's been highly entertaining bullshit thus far. Damon Lindelof is on record as saying he knows exactly what the Season Two finale is. They know where this is going. They know more about the backstories than you think, too. I just re-watched Season One on DVD over the past two weeks, and there's a stunning number of random planted references to characters backstories that you don't get until you see one of their episodes. All in all, the episode wasn't outstanding by Lost standards, which of course means it was very good by the standards of television. The more I think about it, the more I like it. -Chronicles I didn't mean that the character backgrounds weren't planned in some fashion...but that they seem to be the thing where they go: hey, why don't we have this person do this in their past and tie it in to this other person and/or event. And the Season 1 DVD seems to make note of that (they basically said that they had figured out the overall story arch early, but changed the characters pretty significantly once they started casting). |