An Angels blog
Pearly Gates: An Angels Blog
Pearly Gates: An Angels Blog

Navigate

Pearly Gates is...

Quick Reference

BP Player Cards:

ESPN Player Cards:

Baseball Cube:

Baseball Reference:

Recent posts

Links

Archive

Contact

Friday, September 30, 2005

Serenity

I saw the Firefly movie tonight. It was typically great (typical because Firefly was awesome), but quite a bit different at the same time. It still used equal parts humor and action, but the tone and style of the movie were...well, more movie-like. Go see it, you shan't regret it!

Comments:


I'm four episodes through the firefly DVDs. I have 10 episodes to go before Monday ... ugh.

I expect the special effects have improved since the 2002 TV series?

posted by Anonymous Anonymous @ 9:15 PM
Quite a bit. That is one of the things different (and keep in mind, I loved how Firefly used its special effects). The TV budget was such that they could only do limited things (which fit the style of the show), but the movie budget lended itself to different special effects and aided in the changing tone for the movie.

posted by Blogger Unknown @ 9:33 PM
Oh, I "shan't," shan't I?

I'm going to see it Sunday. It's my version of church.

posted by Blogger Richard @ 11:29 PM
When I saw the trailer, I thought it initially was one of those Best Buy commercials where a phone rings and one of the characters on screen says "It's coming from the audience!" and then I thought "Wow, now they're showing trailers for straight-to-DVD movies." It looks like two-parts Fifth Element, two-parts Cowboy Bebop and one-part dog feces.

Here's some of the brilliant writing from the trailer:

"Do you want to be captain of this ship?"
"Yeah, I do."
"Oh...well, you can't!"

"This is going to get pretty interesting."
"Define 'interesting'."
"Oh God, oh God, we're all gonna die."

I take it you guys are Weldon fanboys or joking, because you cannot be serious.

posted by Blogger Joe @ 2:14 AM
Ahh, now I know why you liked it. . .Reason #4

posted by Blogger Joe @ 2:55 AM
Actually, I am not a Whedon fan boy. Never really watched Buffy or Angel, but I decided to watch Firefly on a lark when it was first on (Fox's commercials for it made it look pretty bad), and I quickly learned it was the best Sci Fi series I had ever seen. Some of the reasons for that are that Whedon pulls no punches, the captain-crew dynamic is more like it should be than it is in things like Star Trek, and , despite the darkness of the universe, there is a lot of humor. The libertarian thing is just a side bonus.

posted by Blogger Unknown @ 9:21 AM

posted by Blogger Rob @ 10:05 AM