An Angels blog
Pearly Gates: An Angels Blog
Pearly Gates: An Angels Blog

Navigate

Pearly Gates is...

Quick Reference

BP Player Cards:

ESPN Player Cards:

Baseball Cube:

Baseball Reference:

Recent posts

Links

Archive

Contact

Friday, April 09, 2004

Paid for by friends of Shields/Gregg '04

Shields/Gregg '04


Today's beatdown at the hands of the Rangers should confirm the Angels blogosphere's fears about Ramon Ortiz and Aaron Sele. I've already covered how bad Ortiz's start was, so we don't have to go over it again. Sele came in relief and didn't fare much better, going 3 1/3 innings while allowing 5 runs on 8 hits. So to recap, Sele/Ortiz's line went like this: 6 IP, 17 H, 12 R, 12 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 3 HR for a combined ERA of 18.00. I can't say I'm shocked.

Meanwhile, Kevin Gregg was strengthening his claim to not only stay in the big leagues, but to own one of the rotation spots. He went two near-perfect innings to end the game, allowing only 1 hit while striking out 3.

I don't see the Angels giving Ortiz another start anytime soon. Scioscia and Bud Black looked disgusted while watching Ortiz today, so I would expect Sele to start in his place next time 'round. And after Sele struggles in his couple of starts? Well, we can only hope that Scioscia does the right thing and give either Shields or Gregg a fair shot.